Dodge Viper: Be The Boss Of The Road
The V10-powered Sports Car
The Dodge Viper also called as SRT Viper in 2013 model year is a V10-powered Sports Car and is being manufactured by the Dodge and now SRT that is extended division of famous Chrysler.
History and Production
- The initial production of the two-door sports model was started in 1991 at New Mack Assembly and was later moved to Conner Avenue Assembly in October, 1995.
- Later after some years Chrysler decided to end its production because of some financial problems but people were surprised in 2010 when the Chief Executive Sergio Marchionne launched a new model of the Viper for 2012 on September 14, 2010.
- All of its V10 powered Vipers come with Manual Transmission.
Initial Design and Concept
- The idea for this Sports Car was conceived at Chrysler’s Advanced Design Studios in the late 1988.
- Later in February next year Chrysler president Bob Lutz gave suggestion to Tom Gale to consider producing modern Cobra that was a Clay model and was produced in Sheet Metal by the Metal Crafters.
- In 1989 at the North American International Auto Show the car appeared as concept car and the immediate reaction from the public was enthusiastic that resulted in its standard production and was ordered by Chief Engineer Roy Sjoberg.
- In fact a “Team Viper” comprising of 85 engineers was created and development began in March 1989. At that time the Team Viper asked Lamborghini then-Chrysler subsidiary to cast a Prototype Aluminum block which was based on Dodge’s V10 truck engine for their sports car version in May.
- The main production car was built in February 1990 and became quite popular among people.
It was officially approved in May 1990 by then Chrysler chairman Lee lacocca and after one year pre-production car was piloted by Carroll Shelby. It was then launched as a pace vehicle in the Indianapolis 500 race.
Later in November 2011 the car was reviewed and the retail shipment was started in January 1992.
Photo Gallery of Dodge Viper
Technical Characteristics of Dodge Viper
Technical Characteristics of 2007 Dodge Viper SRT-10 produced by Dodge (US).
|Body Type||Fixed-head coupe 2 doors / 2 seats|
|Front Track||1565 mm|
|Rear Track||1547 mm|
|Ground Clearance||130 mm|
|Fuel Capacity||70 liters|
|Drive Wheels||Rear wheel drive|
|Steering||rack & pinion PAS|
|Fuel Supply System||SMPFi|
|Max Power||608HP (447 kW) @ 6100 rpm|
|Max Torque||759Nm @ 5000 rpm|
|Cam Design||OHV - Overhead Valves|
|Cylinders||10 IN V|
|Valves per cylinder||2|
|Standard Wheels||10 x 18 / 13 x 19|
|Standard Tyres||Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 P275/35 ZR 18 / Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 P345/30 ZR 19|
|Number of gears||6|
|Acceleration 0-100 Km/h||n/a|
|Acceleration 80-120 Km/h||n/a|