Volkswagen Gol: Why You Need It?
A subcompact entry level car of Volkswagen do Brasil, the Volkswagen Gol hit the market in the year 1980. The car was first introduced in South America and it was the successor for the Volkswagen Beetle (Fusca).
A new variant of Gol was also marketed in the North American markets with the name Volkswagen Fox. Incidentally, Fox remained in the market from 1987 through 1993. The name inspiration of Gol comes from a Spanish word that means “goal”.
Long Uninterrupted Tenure
In some countries, the Volkswagen Gol has an uninterrupted long tenure.
- It is in the Brazilian market for the last 26 years from 1987 till date.
- The Gol is having its silver jubilee year in the Argentine market being present since 1988.
- In many other parts of South America it is still present having completed 33 years since 1980.
Gol is not the only model marketed by the manufacturer company. Instead, it has several other derivatives like the Parati, Saverio, and Voyage. A recent study revealed that the manufacturer company has been able to market a huge ten million pieces of cars all over South America.
3rd Generation Gol
Back on 28th day of June in the year 2008, the 3rd Gol generation was marketed. It was marketed as a 2009 model at that time. While initially the car was named as Gol NF, it was finally given the name of “Novo Gol”.
Change of Platform
Over the years there have been changes in Gol platform.
- The company has dispensed the earlier BX platform.
- Gol now shares the PQ24 platform of Volkswagen just like Fox and Polo models.
- Some of the PQ25 platform components have also been adopted
- It is also the first of the Gol models that has automatic transmission included.
Volkswagen Gol was introduced in Brazil with the following features.
- It was single 5-door hatchback.
- The vehicle had flex engines in the range of 1.0-1.6 liters.
- Dimension wise it was 3.90m x1.66m x1.45m in terms of length, breadth, and height.
- The Gol had a wheelbase of around 2.47m and could carry 285 liters of cargo.
The marketers of Gol gave lot of attention to its advertisement. Hence they shoot most of them in Los Angeles with a star cast of Sylvester Stallone as well as Gisele Bundchen.
A new technology was introduced in third generation Volkswagen Gol that is known as the VHT. Benefits of using the technology is that now the flex engines were able to generate higher torques even at considerably lower revs.
Using Ethanol fuel, the engines were able to generate greater horse power as well.