Volvo XC90: The Safest SUV?
The Best Mid-Sized Luxury Crossover SUV
The Volvo XC90 is crossover SUV and was unveiled in the year 2002 at the Detroit Motor Show. It has a same P2 platform similar to the first generation Volvo S80 and other large sized Volvo cars. It was one of the top and bestselling vehicles in the United States of America with over 85,994 cars sold in the year 2005.
History and Power packed Performance
- The official launch of the Volvo XC90 happened in the 2003 in North America and was presented with a unique choice of two trim wheels, the 2.5 T and the T6.
- The entry level version was 2.5 T and was offered with a 2.5 litre turbocharged inline-five engine and had a standard front wheel drive and a Haldex Traction all-wheel drive (AWD) system was optional.
- The T6 version was offered with a 2.9 litre twin turbocharged inline-six engine technology and was offered only with AWD system
- Later in the year 2005 a new Yamaha V8 engine was added that is a 4.4 litre V8 engine produced 288 hp with initial models and which was later upgraded to 311 hp.
- A total of 40,000 XC90 was sold in the year 2005 in the North American market.
Rewards and Recognition
- In 2003 the Volvo XC90 was awarded with” North American car of the year”.
- It was also awarded as the Motor Trend magazine’s Sport/Utility of the year for the year 2003.
The Volvo XC90 is produced at Volvo’s Torslandaverken plant in Sweden and its Passion Red avatar was heavily advertised in the 2009 super hit movie 3 Idiots. This resulted in an immediate increase in the curiosity and demand of this excellent SUV in India and across the world.
Photo Gallery of Volvo XC90
Technical Characteristics of Volvo XC90
Technical Characteristics of 2002 Volvo XC90 2.5T produced by Volvo (SE).
|Body Type||Off-road vehicle 5 doors / 6 seats|
|Front Track||1634 mm|
|Rear Track||1624 mm|
|Ground Clearance||218 mm|
|Fuel Capacity||72 liters|
|Drive Wheels||All wheel drive|
|Steering||rack & pinion PAS|
|Fuel Supply System||n/a|
|Max Power||209HP (154 kW) @ 5000 rpm|
|Max Torque||320Nm @ 1500 rpm|
|Cam Design||DOHC - Double Overhead Camshaft (per bank)|
|Valves per cylinder||4|
|Number of gears||5|
|Acceleration 0-100 Km/h||9.9 seconds|
|Acceleration 80-120 Km/h||n/a|